Cleft Lip & Palate is the most common congenital abnormality of the face.
- Every 3 Minutes A child is born somewhere in the world with a Cleft Lip or Cleft Palate with a total of more than 175,000 new Cleft Patients born every year.
- Pakistan is fourth country in the world having more cleft patients after China, India and Indonesia.
- 1 out of 10 children born with a cleft dies before his/her first birthday.
- Incidence across the globe is approximately 1 out of 500-700 Live births but it is 1 in 550 live births in Pakistan.
- Children with a cleft palate who do not receive surgery by age 10 may have lifelong speech issues.
In Pakistan, more than 9,000 cleft lip & palate patients are born every year.
More than 70,000 cleft patients are un-operated, still waiting for surgery since many years.